Europa-List: Instrument Panel Sub Panel Setup…..Runner

Subject: Europa-List: Instrument Panel Sub Panel Setup…..Runner
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:23:29

Gidday,
I am interested in advice on what might be considered the best setup for the
instrument
panel, in terms of ease of maintenance, removal etc. I am wondering if
the main sub panel could be removable forward on runners, like drawer sliders?
Big aircraft have these, as was my misfortune one day to realise when I grabbed
the two foot rests D rings either side of the panel and pulled to give my
shoulders a stretch, but little did I know that during maintenance the locking
screws had not been actuated, and the whole panel came forward up to the back
of the control column! I looked at the other guy with shock, and just gently
eased it back in place, hoping nothing had, or would disconnect in the process.
Yes, we were airborne! It left an indelible memory, but has inspired me as
to whether such a setup could work on the Europa. This idea is borne out of
imagining
how unwieldy it might be with all the weight aft of the sub panel, to
remove it forward easily, especially with plumbing attached. Runners would make
it a lot easier.
If there is other options for these sub panels I'd appreciate knowing, or
whether
my anxieties are unfounded.  Thanks in anticipation.
Regards
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Aussie