Re: Europa-List: solid state contactors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: solid state contactors
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 22:03:40

On 09/03/2013 09:03 PM, Fred Klein wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone has installed or has the expertise to evaluate these:
>
>       http://www.periheliondesign.com/powerlinkjr/PowerLinkJrIIIManual.pdf
>
> thanks for any insights,

Yeah, I have seen them too. For some purposes they could be fine.
However I just use regular switches for almost all low power purposes.
In the case I need relays (like for high current devices) I like to use
real relays instead of SSR's. Look at the heat sink these SSR's have.
They are there for a reason. The reason is voltage loss (and subsequent
heat production in the relay). And one of the reasons you use a relay
instead of a switch is to eliminate voltage loss due to lenghty wires.
So these SSR's negate their own purpose in some way.

I use regular car relays for high current switching purposes. Our
aircraft see much daily less use than cars, and if these relays are fine
for daily use in a car, they should be fine for an aircraft as well.

Frans