Re: Europa-List: Old Classic needs upgrade to 912S 100hp

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Old Classic needs upgrade to 912S 100hp
From: David Watts <dg.watts@talktalk.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 11:39:39

Jonathan,

After I put 1000 hours on the 912UL in my classic, I replaced it with a 912ULS
using the original classic starter plus a Skydrive Soft Start Module and their
Carb Heat Kit too.

I now have over 1000 hours on this setup too and as long as the battery is in
good
condition it starts just fine, summer or winter.

Dave Watts
Classic Monowheel G-BXDY

On 28 Jul 2013, at 10:31, "jonathanmilbank" <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Neville Eyre has kindly given me answers to some questions and also pointed
> out
that the newer 912S has a larger starter motor, which won't fit into my
old-style
engine bearer frame. So I'm going to need to acquire a new-ish engine (few
100 hours) with the smaller starter.

> How much of a "rod for my own back" will I be making by doing this? How much
trouble will I have starting? Is it "wrist-slashingly" frustrating? How long
before
the starter might need replacing?

> Another serious issue will be engine heat dissipation and Neville has
> indicated
that others have created a "gob" in the cowling below the propeller, directing
1/3 of its air through the oil cooler and 2/3 through the shrouds covering
the cylinders.

> Please would you help me by sending pictures of such a "gob" intake and also
of the additional cooling modifications inside the cowling. All suggestions for
effecting this modification and any associated diagrams will be gratefully
received.