Europa-List: Re: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Tri-gear Flap Cross Tube Slot Length
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 17:53:15

Hi Tony

I just did this job on my Mono and will explain the way I did it, which seems to
be a good way to do it, but first:

I have read that if you drop the flaps more than the book value of 27 degrees
(target
is 26-27, do not exceed 27), that yes you will produce a little more lift
(and drag), but you can become airborne with ailerons that are less than
effective.
I think the factory mentioned this in older Tech Talk. Check with others.
I am only speaking from what I read, not someone who has flown with more.
For me no more than 27 degrees.

Now for flap cross tube slot, I took a 1/2"steel rod, about 6" long and bored a
hole in it the precise diameter of the flap drive pin. I then made a slot 3/4"
in diameter to allow 27 degrees of flap travel with the 1/2" rod on the flap
drive pin sticking inside the fuse.

Then I turned a piece of aluminium that's the diameter of the flap cross tube,
about 1.25" long (plus two thicknesses of 80 grit sandpaper), with one side cut
at a 30 degree angle and then bored a 1/2" hole in the center where this is
now a nice slip fit onto my 1/2" rod.

Now with a helper, I threw the flap from retracted to 27 degrees with the 1/2"
rod on the flap drive pin and with the 30 degree angle of the aluminium rod set
on the 1/2" rod, just used the point of the tip of the 30 degree angle pushed
against the fuse and traced with a pencil the needed slot.

Mind you this is not a perfect slot because the flap drive pin is not
perpendicular
with the fuse, but close enough to allow full throw without going "too much".

It ends up that a closet wood pole is the same diameter as the flap cross tube,
so I just stuck some 80 grit and had a terrific sanding bar.

Once I have everything set up exactly as I want and can cycle the gear, or in
your
case actuate the motor, I will just take a carpenters pencil, cut down to
about an inch long and sharpened to give desired clearance, and mark the fuse
by resting the pencil on the flap cross tube, using the flap cross tube as a
guide.
By using the flap cross tube as a guide, this will make the perfect mark
to follow.

Ron Parigoris

Read this topic online here: