Europa-List: Old Classic needs upgrade to 912S 100hp

Subject: Europa-List: Old Classic needs upgrade to 912S 100hp
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 02:31:47

Neville Eyre has kindly given me answers to some questions and also pointed out
that the newer 912S has a larger starter motor, which won't fit into my
old-style
engine bearer frame. So I'm going to need to acquire a new-ish engine (few
100 hours) with the smaller starter.

How much of a "rod for my own back" will I be making by doing this? How much
trouble
will I have starting? Is it "wrist-slashingly" frustrating? How long before
the starter might need replacing?

Another serious issue will be engine heat dissipation and Neville has indicated
that others have created a "gob" in the cowling below the propeller, directing
1/3 of its air through the oil cooler and 2/3 through the shrouds covering the
cylinders.

Please would you help me by sending pictures of such a "gob" intake and also of
the additional cooling modifications inside the cowling. All suggestions for
effecting this modification and any associated diagrams will be gratefully
received.

Read this topic online here: