Europa-List: Replacement tailwheel

Subject: Europa-List: Replacement tailwheel
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:01:47
Hi All,

I still have my original 10 y/o  tailwheel on my Europa. Its starting to
get a bit worn and hard after 1100 hours so I thought it was getting time
to replace it.

I ordered a tailwheel for an RV from AC Spruce but when it arrived I
discovered that the tread width is 1.5" and the one on my airplane is 2".

I have been searching around for something that is 6 x 2 " and I found that
Colson casters make one.  It is a 400 lb rating and roller bearings.  I am
using 4" Colson casters for my out riggers and they seem to hold up to the
landing speeds.

I was wondering what others have dome for replacement tail wheels, and has
anyone tried Colson as a tail wheel.

BTW, the AC Spruce wheel cost $125, the Colson wheel cost $11.50 !

Thanks- Paul