Re: Europa-List: outrigger wheels

Subject: Re: Europa-List: outrigger wheels
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 16:45:42

On Jul 21, 2013, at 1:42 PM, trevannan wrote:

> Hi
> I have an early classic Europa , the outrigger wheels have now given
up the ghost. I am sorry I know this has all been discussed before but
can anybody let me know where I can get some new ones?
> Roger GBWIJ

A while back I did some back of the envelope computations and as I
recall I figured that on touch down we are asking our outrigger wheels
to spin up from zero to 5000 rpm in an instant.

I can't vouch for the math today, but decided at the time that it was
worth my time to investigate a bit and discovered the world of precision
bearings...I now have some 100mm wheels with ABEX #9 bearings purchased
at a inline skate shop...still building, so no direct experience.

I had originally substituted sealed roller bearing wheels for those
which were supplied w/ the kit; however, I had second thoughts about
using them after seeing the identical wheel on supermarket carts...in
this use, they are rarely subject to extreme accelleration.

These wheels w/ the ABEX #9 bearing spin up like there's no tomorrow.

Fred
A194