Europa-List: Re: Immersion suits?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Immersion suits?
From: graeme bird <graeme@gdbmk.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 07:49:32

I can understand the dinghy thingy for a c172 or PA28 but for a classic mono
wouldn't
it be better to sit in it and in this case wouldn't the unimersed dry suit
be the best clothing?
In general there will always be a series of unfortunate events and mitigations
are about reducing risk not removing. Sure you may be injured, there may be huge
waves and high winds it might take 3 days to be found
And be dark;  but there again it might be flat calm. Just because the mitigation
doesn't remove all risks doesnt mean its not worth having. A suit will certainly
help against sudden cold immersion' which I know from dinghys can make it
hard to breathe and sap energy to climb into anything.
I think DJ discussed the dinghy blowing away in his article.

--------
Graeme Bird
G-UMPY
Mono Classic/XS 912S/Woodcomp 3000/3W