Europa-List: Misreading altimeter, TWICE!

Subject: Europa-List: Misreading altimeter, TWICE!
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:29:57

I have a problem with my (Chinese) altimeter. I am out of the country for a few
months each year but when I got back this time I discovered that my altimeter
was reading around 5500 ft. This is the second time I have had this problem.
First time was a couple of years ago and I replaced the altimeter with another
unit. This has been Ok but now the second one is again reading 5500ft.

I guess I will have to shell out on yet another unit but would be interested to
know if anyone else has experienced any similar problems?

The only thing I can think of which might have a bearing is that I normally
connect
the pitot to the static line when I am away to stop spiders crawling up there
but I can't see how that can affect anything.

Richard Iddon

G-RIXS