Re: Europa-List: wing lift/drag pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wing lift/drag pins
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 15:18:22
Sue,
I agree with the guys...
When in doubt, have the pin and socket measured and checked.

In some aircraft the builder would find that by reaming the hole, the
wings rigged easier.  Of course, over time the pin could move a bit and
as a result the pin and socket can wear a bit more over time.

In a properly built Europa the wing will move fore and aft a bit at the
tip because the front pin is not up hard against its socket and the spar
does bend a bit.  However, you should not be able to see the pin move in
the socket when an assistant moves the wing tip.  If the pin moves
enough in the socket that you can see it, you may in fact have either a
worn wing pin hole, pip pin or socket hole.

I strongly recommend you remove the wings and use a micrometer and check
the wing pin hole, pip pin and socket hole for wear.  I would think that
it should be no more than a 3-4 thousandths difference from 1/4 inch pin
and 1/4 inch holes (the mil spec pin diameter is .2485 inches and the
balls go out to .289 inches).  So  7-8 thousandths total slop is about
your normal tolerance for a proper fit between the three items.  Any
more and the pin starts getting pretty sloppy and the pin holes or the
balls on the pip pin could be compromised.

Just check it and be sure.  It is not hard to change out the wing pin,
pip pin or socket hole.

Regards,
Bud Yerly