Re: Europa-List: Throttle Stops

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Throttle Stops
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 18:11:36

Duncan & Ami a crit :
> Whilst complying with the LAA requirement for a throttle stop, it's
> useful to set up the cables so that the carb stops are reached first,
> followed closely by the stop on the throttle lever itself if the lever
> is deliberately pulled closed against the throttle lever stop. This
> limits any excess strain that can be applied to the cables, but
> provides a useful facility to temporarily pull down the idle speed in
> flight (which in any case will still always be well above the static
> setting, as the forward motion drives the prop). As soon as the
> deliberate backpressure on the lever is released, 'normal service' is
> resumed
> This facility makes a usefully large addition to rate of descent and
> is helpful for landing in to short strips; it's like having an airbrake!

Duncan and all,

In my opinion, an adjustable stop at the throttle lever is important for
2 things :
- Allowing an easy fine tuning of the idle speed without disturbing
anything in the engine compartment
- Preventing any stress on the throttle linkage and carb, which is the
principal cause of changes in idle adjustment and carb synchronization.

I crafted a webpage which may be of interest
http://contrails.free.fr/engine_rotax_stops.php

French only for the moment, but a Frenglish version might appear soon...

FWIW,
Best regards,
--
Gilles