Re: Europa-List: Rubberhoses, repacement?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rubberhoses, repacement?
From: Jerry Rehn <rehn@rockisland.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 18:03:01
Thanks for help, I am presently working my way through all this. Looking for
ward to flying soon.
Regards
Jerry

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 30, 2013, at 8:27 PM, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

> Jerry,
> A UK supplier (at a very reasonable price) is now supplying silicone hoses
 to Europa for the XS.  I have worked with both the Swedish company's produc
t (a bit costly) which is now popular, and our new hoses.  Call or email Kar
en.  I think I just bought them out of their last stock.  More on the way ve
ry soon.

> As far as on the engine, Rotax wants an arm and a leg for their heater hos
e.  In the US I use either manufacturer recommended or better hose.  I am af
raid that even as a certified Rotax repair type, I prefer to buy 5/8 inch si
licone hose from my supplier at Amazon Hose.  It is great stuff and only $6 a
 foot rather than $20 per foot and frankly it is just rubber heater hose..  D
on't just buy any hose.  I tested the Amazon hose stuff and it is good over 3
00F, under pressure.  I even took a torch with a 1500 degree tip to it and i
t just glows, the outer skin turns to white ash and doesn't burn.  It is as t
hick as the rubber hose (rather than the real thin style silicone that is al
so available) so you can use your existing clamps.  The Rotax hose burns wit
h gusto on direct flame contact.  I still use heat sleeve by thermo king to p
rotect my hose from potential exhaust leaks which will cause a burn through i
n minutes with the rubber hose even with heat shielding.

> I can't find 11 mm hose for the crossover tube so I do buy that from Rotax
.  The 1/2 inch vacuum line or Aeroquip 332 is a little too loose, and vacuu
m silicone hose of 3/8 or 7/16 is just too tight and won't pop off.  So I pa
y $20 for a foot of it.
> The same for the 4 mm line for the carbs, fuel pressure regulator etc.  On
ly because I can reuse the clamps.  If you want, you can find 4mm vacuum / s
uction line but you will need new clamps as it will be thicker than the 7mm O
D Rotax line.

> At 6 years I think you should look at your lower ignition wires also.  Min
e were baked.  Especially between the cylinders.

> As for the the fuel hose.  The tried and true method is to check your clam
ps.  If you note your clamps are loose and the hose has shrunk, has cracks o
n the end not under the clamp or has taken a set (gotten hard) take about 4-
8 hours and change it all out.  The R-7 hose from six years ago has been rep
laced with better hose.  Available now is Goodyear EP SAE R-9 hose,  Gates h
as an R-14 hose designed for carburation up to 50 psi and is cheaper than th
e fuel injection hose by about half.  Both are impervious to the smell of au
to gas, are lined, and reinforced internally.  The Gates is also quite flexi
ble.  However, the new silicone like inner liner on each brand when pushed o
n really sticks.  So, pre-lube it and plan well.
> NAPA auto is a good place to look.  Just make sure you get the carbureted h
ose, not CARB (California Air Resources Board) fuel injection hose which is q
uite stiff...  My NAPA store locally carries both types.

> I pull my fuel tank bosses off and flush my tank.  Replace the 1 inch hose
 with marine fuel line or exhaust line (Blue Stripe).

> I also check my cobra neck (that rubber 55 degree elbow) for hardness.  If
 it feels like solid plastic, it goes.  I normally manufacture a 55 degree a
luminum 2 inch elbow and use two inch marine exhaust hose to clamp it into m
y inlet.

> Finally, the site gauge and vent lines need a good looking at also.  They g
et quite brittle as we use cheap hose, and rarely get changed as we figure t
hey are only vent lines and don't give a second thought to them.  Don't buy c
heap here either.  Not all polyurethane lines are created equal.  Europa has
 the good European hose that doesn't crack or get brittle.  Amazon hose has c
rap for urethane normally.  My store has the good stuff.  We are using tygon
 in one plane to try it out.  It now comes in many colors and is resistant t
o getting dark with age and is supposed to be 100% safe with ethanol, autoga
s, or aviation gas.

> Regards,
> Bud Yerly
> Tech Support.

 all the fuel lines about 6 years ago with high pressure auto fuel injection
 hose. Stuff still looks good, but? Any    advice here? Also replaced coolan
t hoses with silicone about same time. The large radiator hoses were replace
d with rubber. Would like to get silicone for the radiator as well. Source?

ref="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com

=========
=========
=========