Re: Europa-List: Rubberhoses, repacement?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rubberhoses, repacement?
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 23:27:23
Jerry,
A UK supplier (at a very reasonable price) is now supplying silicone
hoses to Europa for the XS.  I have worked with both the Swedish
company's product (a bit costly) which is now popular, and our new
hoses.  Call or email Karen.  I think I just bought them out of their
last stock.  More on the way very soon.

As far as on the engine, Rotax wants an arm and a leg for their heater
hose.  In the US I use either manufacturer recommended or better hose.
I am afraid that even as a certified Rotax repair type, I prefer to buy
5/8 inch silicone hose from my supplier at Amazon Hose.  It is great
stuff and only $6 a foot rather than $20 per foot and frankly it is just
rubber heater hose..  Don't just buy any hose.  I tested the Amazon hose
stuff and it is good over 300F, under pressure.  I even took a torch
with a 1500 degree tip to it and it just glows, the outer skin turns to
white ash and doesn't burn.  It is as thick as the rubber hose (rather
than the real thin style silicone that is also available) so you can use
your existing clamps.  The Rotax hose burns with gusto on direct flame
contact.  I still use heat sleeve by thermo king to protect my hose from
potential exhaust leaks which will cause a burn through in minutes with
the rubber hose even with heat shielding.

I can't find 11 mm hose for the crossover tube so I do buy that from
Rotax.  The 1/2 inch vacuum line or Aeroquip 332 is a little too loose,
and vacuum silicone hose of 3/8 or 7/16 is just too tight and won't pop
off.  So I pay $20 for a foot of it.
The same for the 4 mm line for the carbs, fuel pressure regulator etc.
Only because I can reuse the clamps.  If you want, you can find 4mm
vacuum / suction line but you will need new clamps as it will be thicker
than the 7mm OD Rotax line.

At 6 years I think you should look at your lower ignition wires also.
Mine were baked.  Especially between the cylinders.

As for the the fuel hose.  The tried and true method is to check your
clamps.  If you note your clamps are loose and the hose has shrunk, has
cracks on the end not under the clamp or has taken a set (gotten hard)
take about 4-8 hours and change it all out.  The R-7 hose from six years
ago has been replaced with better hose.  Available now is Goodyear EP
SAE R-9 hose,  Gates has an R-14 hose designed for carburation up to 50
psi and is cheaper than the fuel injection hose by about half.  Both are
impervious to the smell of auto gas, are lined, and reinforced
internally.  The Gates is also quite flexible.  However, the new
silicone like inner liner on each brand when pushed on really sticks.
So, pre-lube it and plan well.
NAPA auto is a good place to look.  Just make sure you get the
carbureted hose, not CARB (California Air Resources Board) fuel
injection hose which is quite stiff...  My NAPA store locally carries
both types.

I pull my fuel tank bosses off and flush my tank.  Replace the 1 inch
hose with marine fuel line or exhaust line (Blue Stripe).

I also check my cobra neck (that rubber 55 degree elbow) for hardness.
If it feels like solid plastic, it goes.  I normally manufacture a 55
degree aluminum 2 inch elbow and use two inch marine exhaust hose to
clamp it into my inlet.

Finally, the site gauge and vent lines need a good looking at also.
They get quite brittle as we use cheap hose, and rarely get changed as
we figure they are only vent lines and don't give a second thought to
them.  Don't buy cheap here either.  Not all polyurethane lines are
created equal.  Europa has the good European hose that doesn't crack or
get brittle.  Amazon hose has crap for urethane normally.  My store has
the good stuff.  We are using tygon in one plane to try it out.  It now
comes in many colors and is resistant to getting dark with age and is
supposed to be 100% safe with ethanol, autogas, or aviation gas.

Regards,
Bud Yerly
Tech Support.