Re: Europa-List: Europa Gear

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Gear
From: nigelgraham@mtecque.co.uk
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 14:27:55

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your kind words.
The short answer to your questions is "Yes ........ and No".
It would almost certainly be possible to fit an airspring into the
space available on the mono gear, but the "spring" is only half of the
suspension system. The bit that is needed to control the bounce is the
damper and as discussed in the article, there is precious little space
to fit a damper of anywhere near the strength needed to control the
forces involved (while maintaining the ability to retract the gear).
I actually have a great respect for the guys that designed the
original arrangement.

Nigel