RE: Europa-List: Prop choice fp or vp?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Prop choice fp or vp?
From: Duncan & Ami <amimcfadyean@talktalk.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 14:11:27

That debate is rather like the mono vs 'other' types of undercarriage
debate; one best not entered as the battle lines are too fixed!

A vp obviously has the edge in performance on a fp. But at the cost of
capital investment, routine maintenance/stripdown, non-routine
maintenance(!) and yet another logbook to fill in.

The study on fp vs vp in the LAA mag a few years ago had one very poignant
conclusion: on an overpowered slippery aircraft (e.g.Europa with 100hp)
there is very little if any real advantage.

I have a fp and can climb fully loaded (1300 lbs) at >900fpm and cruise at
very nearly Vne (close to 150 knts @ 5500rpm) if the 'plane is clean,
especially the propeller.
Routine shortfield performance (homebase is 375m grass strip) is OK, but
difficult fully loaded when the ground is wet and soft leaving little
contingency for other than full performance. But Sportcruisers and Rans S6's
have difficulty here!

Duncan McF.