Europa-List: Re: Prop choice fp or vp?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Prop choice fp or vp?
From: jonathanmilbank <jdmilbank@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 16:10:24

My Classic Europa was built when there was no 100hp Rotax available and so I
installed
the 912UL 80hp which is still the hp of my replacement engine. It was
also built when there was no tricycle u/c option and I was pleased to cruise at
120kts using 15.5 l/hr.

However the take-off run and rate of climb left something to be desired while I
was running a Warp Drive ground adjustable propeller. When Europa told we early
builders that the Airmaster c/s v.p. was by far the best of several they had
tried, I jumped at the opportunity to be one of the first 10 purchasers who
got a 10% discount.

I was really impressed with the much better acceleration during take-off and the
gain of 200ft/min in climb rate. The cruising speed and fuel consumption
remained
unchanged, but what a pleasure it is to cruise at the same speed with a
lower engine rpm and appreciate the quieter, more serene cruise with lower
vibrations.

I guess however that if you're using a 100hp engine, then a fixed pitch prop
should
be adequate.

Jonathan

Read this topic online here: