Europa-List: Re: 914 surging/loss of power

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 914 surging/loss of power
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 01:53:24

Thank you Jim for sharing your findings. Obviously having a bottom  vent facing
forward is asking for trouble due to he amount of dirt projected by the mono
wheel.  It is always useful to look at what is being done on type certificated
aircraft. A good example is the french Jodel series, some of them (Robin DR400)
still being in limited production today. Those aircraft have fuselage and wing
root tanks with vents at the bottom, some versions having up to four tanks,
each with its own vent.  All vents are strait tubing protuding perpendicularly
to the slipstream. The effect of the lower pressure (static pressure or possibly
some succion instead of total pressure) compared with a facing forward vent
is not critical at 13O kts. In some DR400, the main fuselage tank has dual
vents, one at the top of the fuselage, the other at the bottom.
For our Europa, I believe a safe solution is to keep the top vent as per the
manual
and add a bottom vent perpendicular to the slipstream. The bottom vent acts
as an overfill drain and provides some usefull redundancy.
Good flights in 2013
Remi Guerner

Read this topic online here: