Re: Europa-List: heavy left wing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: heavy left wing
From: William McClellan <wilwood@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 08:17:58

Something to check for with your "heavy wing problem".  I had a similar problem
with my plane following a major wing repair, not my Europa but my Citabria.
It sure seemed that one wing had notably more lift than the other.  The
incidence
was equal wing to wing with no visible or measurable difference between wings
but it would not fly straight without input pressure on stick and rudder,
it wanted to roll.  Because it seemed to be a wing problem, I proceeded to
adjust
the washout/washin to correct the difference in lift, this can be done with
a high wing by adjusting the struts.  I could get it to fly hand off but then
one aileron was 1 inch up and the other down.  Needless to say, I sure didn't
like the stall characteristics with unequal washout.  Scratching my head and
deciding to look outside my box, the problem turned out to be a misinstalled
tail wheel spring inputting rudder pressure to one side.  This was not an
intuitive
place to look for me but it sure was the problem.  Correcting the spring
and rudder, it was then easy to get the plane tuned up and flying hands off
straight
and level.  So you might check if your rudder linkage is inputting pressure
to one side.
Bill McClellan