RE: Europa-List: Re: New to List

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: New to List
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 21:24:41

Jeremy=2C
You will never use a step=2C or step on the wing. The easiest way to get in
to the Europa is to sit on the wing=2C then swing in your right leg=2C push
 yourself up on the door sill=2C and bring in the left leg. Reverse when yo
u get out. Find a completed Europa and try it.
Karl

> From: jffisher@gmail.com
> Date: Thu=2C 4 Oct 2012 16:11:34 -0400
> To: Europa-List@matronics.com
>

> I really want to thank the many people who answered my questions=2C you s
aved me a lot of time=2C and I learned what I wanted.  Very refreshing=2C n
ot even the Lancair List was quite as quick in replying to questions.

> I also appreciate the comment to keep it as standard as possible.  I real
ly learned that lesson building the Lancair=2C which probably took twice as
 long as it could or should have=2C and it just got heavier!

> In summary=2C I will leave the intercooler out initially=2C I will leave
the cockpit width as is=2C I now have the missing oil reservoir mount templ
ate=2C and I got some excellent ideas for the autopilot mount.  I am still
thinking about about a step like the RV-7 but in front of the wing as a pos
sibility=2C probably for later.

> Thanks to everyone.
>
> Jerry
> On Oct 3=2C 2012=2C at 4:51 PM=2C Jeremy Fisher wrote:
>
> > I recently took over a Europa XS project that has most of the structure
 now complete.  I am based at an Airpark on Cape Cod in the US=2C and previ
ously built a Lancair 360.

> > After going through the aircraft and all of the books=2C I have a coupl
e of questions=2C and would be grateful for any inputs or advice.  In parti
cular:

> > 1.  I just bought a refurbished Rotax 914.  Is it worth the hassle to f
it an intercooler?  The advice from the outfit that refurbished it is not t
o bother=2C as the engine will adjust for any issues with the temperature o
f the inlet air.

> > 2.  Access to the cockpit appears to be pretty awkward.  Has anyone tri
ed to install a step to assist=2C or is it easier to get in than it looks?
 In addition=2C do you need to reinforce the wing upper surface where you h
ave to step to get in=2C or is it strong enough to take size 10 boots?

> > 3.  I am far from impressed by the cooling set up=2C and I know that lo
ts of people have modified the standard system.  Has anyone used the Lamino
va oil to water cooler=2C and if so=2C which size did you use=2C and what w
as the result?

> > 4.  Where can I find the pattern for the oil reservoir mounting plate?
 My manual refers to it=2C but it seems to be missing from my documentation
.

> > 5.  For those of you who are not cursed with the LAA=2C has anyone inst
alled an autopilot pitch servo connected to the system without changing the
 lateral pitch tube as per the factory installation?  It would be both expe
nsive and fairly difficult for me to change it at this build stage.  I am c
onsidering a couple of alternatives and would like to learn from anyone els
e's experience.

> > 6.  My wife and i are both pretty skinny (she is slender=2C i am skinny
!).  Do you find that widening the cockpit at the shoulders as per the Mod
List is worth it=2C or do you not have any problem with the standard cockpi
t in practice?