Europa-List: The 914 saga

Subject: Europa-List: The 914 saga
From: f.kyle@sympatico.ca
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:45:45
David -

            "Fergus, That widget holding the cable in the wheel on top

of the turbo control unit has a disc under the screw. Make

sure it didn't lose any bits  while it went round the

cockpit. You can take the spring off at the turbo end and

then simply pull the cable back and fix it. If you have

fired up the electrics you will know that the waste gate

cycles when you first switch on. The right position for it

is with the master switch on, the throttle at closed and

the waste gate closed ( i.e: with the cable pulled right

back). You can do minor adjustments at the other end of

the cable.I have reassembled / readjusted/ fiddled around

with that fixing a number of times and never had a problem

yet. Best of luck! It WILL BE WORTH IT! David, G-XSDJ"

      Yes, my heart dropped when the widget went flying (I am in the
right-side cockpit - on the trailer - in the garden) and I heard it tinkling
on and off a number of surfaces behind my feet. Of course I was heartened to
find it was the whole widget, screw in, holding the small brass disc captive
- but thanks for the heads-up...

      I think it all began when a young visitor flicked the power switch and
a pop rang out - the relay. He flicked it closed quickly and I think it put
the Turbo Motor setting out of whack. When I went to re-assemble the motor
pulley, there was about 55mm of cable missing and I could not re-site the
pulley. The tech at the agency suggested that the motor setting was at
fault, but I had pulled the waste gate lever to fully closed with a bungee
and still not enough cable emerged from the firewall. I think I will have to
examine the waste gate to see if anything is jamming it partially open. I am
hesitant to readjust the forward end of the cable for fear of never
re-acquiring the original length. Ah me.

      Thank you for your advice and time............

Ferg

I have about two days of good weather until the next downwash from the
Pacific arrives........