Europa-List: The 914 saga

Subject: Europa-List: The 914 saga
From: f.kyle@sympatico.ca
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:13:37
            The Grand Design is slowly unfolding at an infuriatingly slow
pace. MY purpose initially was to be able to disassemble the Main Instrument
Panel. First of all I hate lying on my back with bits of solder sticking to
my sweater and my head between myriad rudder pedals at the museum. Secondly
the advance of digital instruments may have meant many mods to stay current.

            So the main panel mounts with bolts backwards and affixed to the
panel. The brilliant scheme to include face-to-face fawcet washers isolated
if from some fuselage vibrations. I have also arranged a Flight sub-panel
portside and a systems sub-panel in the starboard half. The later inclusion
of digital arrays made it several pounds lighter but wiring got complex.

            It was chasing a wiring fault that prompted removing the panels
for clarity whereupon it was found the Turbo Motor mounting bolts were loose
- I dunno.  Any way in the course of this complication the clamp holding the
spring-loaded control cable let go. It was clamped to a fitting in the
pulley which moves it to adjust the turbo gate - and, was set correctly at
the factory, not to be touched. I dunno, I never touched it. However, when
the fitting let go, the cable naturally sprang back into the firewall
(leaving a short tail), and the entry ferrule danced merrily into a cranny,
celebrating its new-found freedom.  Are you still with me?

            The fuselage sits under a temporary 'tent' on the lawn, begging
to be re-assembled and I sit forlornly contemplating how to (a) extend the
cable tail against the spring (and clamp it at its exact previous point),
(b) manoeuvre the cable end back into its locking fitting - at arm's length,
and then (c) replace the three panels with their 25 or so
connections.....all this before the weather deteriorates further. I smell
snow.

            If you've got this far, you probably have contemplated this tiny
setback and more likely know how to conquer it. If so, I beg your knowledge.

            In the meantime give that cable lock one more gronch.....

Ferg

C-FFGG

914 mono CS prop