Re: Europa-List: Mod 77

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 77
From: Frans Veldman <frans@privatepilots.nl>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 14:12:47

Hi Graham!

> Because of the leverage of the rudder pedals (and our strong legs)
> If one pilot pushes hard left and the other one has to overide him the
> total load on the hing and flange would be nearly 400 Kg.

Wow! I didn't even think about an override and the leverage! 400Kg is a
lot for that poor hinge! Which brings up the question why the standard
construction is even certified... Or why this mod didn't get
incorporated in the standard kit long time ago.

> 7 years ago we sold our house and with it went my wonderful workshop:-S

I even don't want to think about loosing my workshop...

> That meant I had to stop making up Mod kits so I persuaded
> David Stanbridge that it would be a good idea for Europa to sell this
> mod.

Just putting the mod somewhere burried onto the website isn't going to
attract many customers... It took a while before I discovered its
existence, and it took me a while to realize the benefits of this mod.

> We flew my Long EZ last week for the first time in too many years, it
> felt wonderful. I am tempted to revalidate my lisence and fly it from
> the front again!

I think as a relatively newcomer I miss some history here. So you built
a long EZ?

Thanks for inventing this mod 77.

Frans