Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel up landing

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Mono wheel up landing
From: Richard Lamprey <lamprey.richard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 01:06:05

I landed gear up (monowheel classic).  I lowered the gear, to slow down as
usual,
but forgot to lock.  This was on a grass strip in Uganda, it had just rained,
ground was soft.  Touched down tailwheel first, then big bang, it all stopped
in about 10 metres.  Main damage, smashed prop.  The gear thumped up into the
wheel well, against the throttle box.  Slight dent to exhaust, and the fuselage
flap fairing one side slightly damaged.  No damage to outriggers or flap
hinges.
Lifted it up with engine hoist onto engine bearers, lowered gear and locked,
wheeled
it off strip.  Then gearbox strip down as required, and check crankshaft
alignment.  All OK and saved by slipper clutch.  Could have all been quite cheap
if there was a Rotax agent nearby, but the nearest is South Africa, so getting
him up to Uganda, repairs, hotels, airfares etc cost about USD 6000.

All best
Richard
Kenya

Read this topic online here: