Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Mono wheel up =?ISO-8859-1?Q?landing?

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List: Mono wheel up =?ISO-8859-1?Q?landing?
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 08:31:31

I would concur with David over best way to deal with retraction problem.

In the early days I recall quite a few Europa pilots "forgot" to lower the
undercarriage with the inevitable results.

We sustained a prop strike due to ground looping on a hard runway. The
engine was at idling and we smashed the tips of 2 blades. There was no
engine damage as the slipper touch took all of the shock.

At the time (10 yrs ago) we were advised to check the prop shaft had not
been bent (ie: prop hadn't gone wobbly). I believe the current wisdom is
that the gearbox has to be stripped down by Rotax agent and the gears dye
checked for cracks).

With the engine stopped I believe the damage to engine would be minimal as
the blades are quite flexible so no direct shock loads.