Re: Europa-List: Mono wheel up landing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mono wheel up landing
From: ROBERT LINDSAY <rlindsa2@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 23:17:43

I can tell you what happened on an unintended wheels up landing on a runway
in an XS monowheel with a two bladed Whirl Wind prop.  Power was at idle and
tail wheel touched down nicely but blades of turning prop had to be replaced
(constant speed hub was OK--blades actually bent over then sprung back!)
Main wheel was forced farther up into the wheel well about two inches but
caused only rubbing damage.  Minor damage to port outrigger fairing easily
repaired (no passenger).  Main wheel was jammed beyond normal up position
but easily unjammed as aircraft was held aloft by hoist attached to engine
mount.  Engine passed sudden engine stoppage tests.

Bob Lindsay
N77EU