Europa-List: Re: The Standard Warning Light

Subject: Europa-List: Re: The Standard Warning Light
From: Alan Carter <alancarteresq@onetel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:39:00

Hi Bob Remi  and all.

The weather at Headcorn was good today, so G-PEGY  got airborne from runway 28.
It was a bit like the blind leading the blind as i have no instruction on how to
fly a Europa,
The throttle lever has a normal range quadrant slide from idle to full throttle,
at the end of this range a gated position where you can move the lever into
the Turbo Mode.
I only used the normal idle to full throttle position today, ( Bob said to use
this full range during take off ie the full normal range)( But i,m not so sure
as i would move the throttle in the normall range  to achieve 5500 rpms and stop
even iff i had not reached the end of the range) ??
With the Prop set to CLIMB Mode on the C/S unit,
So opening smoothly to the" full normal position"  accelerating and rotating
into
the climb, i found the little prop rev light comes on, about or shortly after
rotation the RPM is 5500 with the engine revving away.
So i found myself just getting airborne and reducing the power slightly to put
this little light on the C/S unit gauge out.
Passing 200 Ft bring the flaps in slowly then pressing the button which selected
Cruise Mode, which then coarsened the prop placing it under more load which
brought the revs down and recompensing by increasing the throttle to about 31
manifold pressure,
All i can say is the engine sounded much better, the climb was good, it just
sound
better than the prop left revving  in the Climb Mode until circuit height.
Climbing at 70 to 75 Kts to 1000 Ft, levelled off, speed to about  100Kts
reducing
back to 25 M/P and settling down at about 90 to 95 Kts down wind, this setting
seemed to give me enough Power/Speed to make small correction on the elevator
control to make small height correction +- 100 ft adjustments, normally i
would be +- 50 ft but i am working hard at the moment .
Finals approach i was using 20 degrees of Flap and about 70 kts trying to get it
back to 65 Kts , remember this is my first flight.
I found pressing the C/S control back to the CLIMB MODE selection better just
after
the final turn, this seem to keep the engine revs down, or should i say engine
revving away.
I used 20 Flap for touch and goes, and 30 ie full flap for full stop landing, i
would say my full stop landings where better.

So How do you Fly a Europa 914 . ???
And the Prop light coming on momentarily , ( the engine seems fine)??
Any advice please.

On the last landing of the day with 30 Degrees of Flap ,say about 50 Kts during
hold off, i had a bird stick, a  Black Crow , the bird was not splattered it
was in one piece with some feathers missing ,
I think it hit the the leading edge of the right hand tail plane , No blood ,
just
a little chip about 3 mm and paint marked very slightly its beak may have
done this ?, its a job to say as i don,t know the aeroplane, but i don,t think
there was a mark there before !! you have to look for it as its small.

Alan

Read this topic online here: