Re: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white
From: Kevin Challis <kevinmarie@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 13:24:06
Sun covers so far this year have not been needed in the UK but floats are lo
oking likely :-)

Kevin Challis

On 15 Jul 2012, at 12:01, "Sidsel & Svein Johnsen" <sidsel.svein@oslo.online
.no> wrote:

> On our recent trip to Venezia where we had 35 degrees during takeoff at 9:
30 AM, Stephan and I were quite puzzled by the negative effect our metallic-
grey cockpit covers had when it came to keeping the heat out.  The temperatu
re inside the cockpit was HIGH.

> I have now received the report from the Norwegian Institute of Advanced Eu
ropa Cockpit Cover Research.  The reason it took so long, was that only toda
y has the sun been out sufficiently long to carry out such an important fiel
d study.  Here is the summary of the institute=99s findings (temperatu
res in degrees Centigrade):

> -          Ambient air:  23.5
> -          Under car window sun protection material (I have now made cover
s to place inside all windows from a set purchased at auto supply store):  2
6.9
> -          Under white pillow case material (single sheet cotton, thinner m
aterial than the metallic-grey cover, tight weave):  38.7
> -          Under metallic-grey cockpit cover, made professionally to many E
uropas:  58.7

> All cases:  Temp. sensor held up against the underside of the test piece b
y pins, to ensure minimum ambient air influence.  All test pieces at right a
ngle to the sun=99s rays.  No wind.

> It is evident that the metallic-grey material is totally unsuitable for su
n heat protection.  The colour is just for show, and has the opposite effect
 of what we common folks believe.  It is of course water tight, but I am sur
e there is also white fabric available that keeps the water out.

=========
=========
=========
=========