RE: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cockpit cover - Any colour as long as it's white
From: Rob Housman <rob@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:20:03
What these measurements tell us is what we knew before making any
measurements - that darker colors absorb the sun's radiant energy more than
light colors.  This is why the Europa factory correctly advises that white
is the only acceptable color for the fiberglass airframe. What these
measurements do not tell us is how much of the sun's energy is reflected
---From the outer surface of the cockpit covers, only what heat is transferred
by conduction through the cover.  The metallic grey material is probably a
very good reflector of radiant energy in the part of the spectrum most
important for reducing the temperature within the cockpit.

It is erroneous to conclude that "the metallic-grey material is totally
unsuitable for sun heat protection" because cockpit air temperature is not a
function of the temperature of the heat shield, and cockpit air temperature
was not measured.  At the temperatures involved, radiant heat transfer is
inconsequential so therefore the measured temperature on the interior side
of the cover material is insignificant and irrelevant

Now, having said that the conclusion was erroneous I should point out that
the cover in question may indeed be a rather poor means of reducing the
cockpit temperature.  We simply do not know from the available information.
As with academic studies, here we must conclude that further research is
necessary.

For the absolutely best reflection of infrared energy use a gold coating on
the metallic shield.

Best regards,

Rob Housman

Irvine, California