Europa-List: Re: 912ULS - Rough start & Rough on one magnet

Subject: Europa-List: Re: 912ULS - Rough start & Rough on one magnet
From: JonSmith <jonsmitheuropa@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 06:19:50

Hi Svein, just a thought - probably not relevant to you but do you have the
small
starter motor or the larger heavy duty one installed?  It's just that I was
having the exact same starting problems that you've described.

I was advised to bin my existing small starter and fit the large one which I did
just two weeks ago.  It's early days yet and I'm never one to be naively
complacent
but so far I'll say cautiously that the results have been startlingly
brilliant.  I've only done a few starts with the new starter yet but (fingers
crossed) the starting problem has been completely cured.

I was told that with the old starter the engine can start firing at a low rpm as
it can't accelerate it quickly enough for the advanced ignition to kick in and
so it remains on retarded ignition.  Especially if there is a bit of wear in
the gearbox the prop can end up rocking backwards and forwards between ignition
pulses, stopping the engine accelerating further.  The large starter motor
in theory turns at the same speed as the small one but has much more torque to
accelerate the engine rpm quickly beyond the point where this problem occurs.
( This explanation is purely what I've been told and certainly not my field
of expertise!)

Of course you've probably got the large starter motor already so this would not
be relevant apart from I think it's important to be completely confident that
your battery and all the battery connections and grounds are in top order.

Cheers, Jon

--------
G-TERN
Classic Mono