Re: Europa-List: Max climb angle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Max climb angle
From: klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 10:16:24
Bud and Bob,
I think Rob wants the fuselage deck angle at VX full power.
Bud mentions "nearly 20 degrees". He needs to suspend the tri gear fuse on t
he ground with minimum fuel
(not sure what that would be) and do a fuel flow check.
Is that correct Rob?
Kevin
XS Mono, 914 & Airmaster

On May 5, 2012, at 8:32 AM, "Bud Yerly" <budyerly@msn.com> wrote:

> Sent earlier:
> Rob,
> Hope things are moving along.
> Max angle of climb is the L/D max airspeed. The glide speed is normally L/
D max however, the XS manual is 61Kts. Check your operators hand book Chapte
r 5, VX is 61 and is flight tests proven, flaps up of course. In my tests I p
refer 65 Knots on the heavier aircraft for a bit of a margin.
> Should power be lost at this climb angle, an immediate (more than aggressi
ve) push over will be needed to keep sufficient flying speed to prevent a st
all. This will leave you in a push over from nearly 20 degrees nose up to 15
 degrees nose down and find you at a speed of 55 or so. Insufficient to make
 an immediate flare without a hard landing if power is lost below 100 feet. P
ractice is required.
> I do this on all my test flights once the engine is proven and I can safel
y practice this Vx climb at altitude with the prop at 5750 and full power on
 the engine. I climb for about 1 minute or about 1500 feet of altitude at th
is power setting and angle and check for temps and of course fuel starvation
, oil pressure stability and the like. Then I do it again from takeoff. In 3
000 feet you will easily go through pattern altitude so coordinate with towe
r.
> Regards,
> Bud

o do a fuel flow test with min fuel & the aircraft suspended in max climb. I
 don't see this listed in the Operators Manual.

ref="http://forums.matronics.com";>http://forums.matronics.com

=========
=========
=========