Re: Europa-List: Max climb angle

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Max climb angle
From: Bud Yerly <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 11:32:04
Sent earlier:
Rob,
Hope things are moving along.
Max angle of climb is the L/D max airspeed. The glide speed is normally
L/D max however, the XS manual is 61Kts. Check your operators hand book
Chapter 5, VX is 61 and is flight tests proven, flaps up of course. In
my tests I prefer 65 Knots on the heavier aircraft for a bit of a
margin.
Should power be lost at this climb angle, an immediate (more than
aggressive) push over will be needed to keep sufficient flying speed to
prevent a stall. This will leave you in a push over from nearly 20
degrees nose up to 15 degrees nose down and find you at a speed of 55 or
so. Insufficient to make an immediate flare without a hard landing if
power is lost below 100 feet. Practice is required.
I do this on all my test flights once the engine is proven and I can
safely practice this Vx climb at altitude with the prop at 5750 and full
power on the engine. I climb for about 1 minute or about 1500 feet of
altitude at this power setting and angle and check for temps and of
course fuel starvation, oil pressure stability and the like. Then I do
it again from takeoff. In 3000 feet you will easily go through pattern
altitude so coordinate with tower.
Regards,
Bud