Re: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFePO4

Subject: Re: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFePO4
From: GRAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:08:31
David,-=0AI suspect you meant to say "unexpectedly nose heavy" ?=0Aregard
s=0AGraham=0A=0A=0A________________________________=0A From: David Joyce <d
avidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>=0ATo: europa-list@matronics.com =0ASent: Saturday
, 28 April 2012, 12:49=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFePO
s.org.uk>=0A=0A=0ACraig & Graham, Right from the start I planned to have my
 battery in the engine compartment, and it has worked very well. It sits on
 top of the passenger footwell with a one inch retaining wall around its bo
ttom end and fixed with a nylon strap from the firewall over the top and do
wn. that is a much simpler and lighter mounting than any I have seen in the
 rear. I have an Oddyssey 17 amp hr battery which has had more than enough
welly to start the engine instantly even after a 3/12 break in the winter.
I made no provision for cooling and it doesn't seem to have noticed.=0A-
- - - -  As to weight and balance I have a mono XS, 914 and a Woodc
omp SR 3000 W wobbly prop and a very well equipped panel (although much of
this electronic rather than steam age!), so my plane might be expected to b
e nose heavy. I calculated what I thought was the optimum position for the
Ready for Service C of G as what would allow any combination of pilot/s, fu
el & luggage and came up with the figure of 59 ins or thereabouts (but the
precise figure will depend on the base weight of the plane but I guess the
optimum will be very close to this) To achieve that precise CoG position I
found I needed a small, 3 lb block of lead bolted to the front of the tail
bulkhead (accessed conveniently through the trim slots). I suspect I had sa
ved most or all of 3lbs in longer cables and more elaborate mounting & fixi
ng of a rear battery. My advice would be to assume this- is wha.t you wil
l do with the battery and only shift it to the much more inconvenient
 rear position if your plane turns out to be unexpectedly tail heavy.=0AReg
RAHAM SINGLETON <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com> wrote:=0A> Craig,=0A> you'
re right. moving the battery forward would require roughly half it's weight
 in the tail to compensate.=0A> You save the weight of the cables too. -Y
ou need to consider keeping the battery cool if it's in the engine bay thou
gh.=0A> Graham=0A> =0A> =0A> ________________________________=0A> From: cra
ig <craigb@onthenet.com.au>=0A> To: europa-list@matronics.com Sent: Saturda
y, 28 April 2012, 0:04=0A> Subject: RE: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFe
PO4=0A> =0A> =0A> =0A> Philip=0A> -=0A> You mentioned the issues of weigh
t and balance, for not using=0A> the LiFePo battery, assuming you had the b
attery in the rear=0A> As per most builds, was the option of another half k
ilo of ballast=0A> near the tail considered, if so and you opted not to pro
ceed=0A> Could you explain why. Given the weight saving would still be=0A>
about 6kg, it would seem worthwhile to pursue=0A> -=0A> Craig----