Re: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFePO4

Subject: Re: Europa-List: starter battery - LiFePO4
From: Philip Levi <pjlevi@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:44:47
Klaus,

I purchased a similar battery at the Microlight Fair at Popham in May 2011
(cost was GBP 200.00).  I, like you, thought it would be a great weight
saver as it was just under 1 kg.

However, when I showed it to my engineer, Pete Jeffers, I was horrified
when he did the arithmetic on the weight and balance schedule and told me
that it reduced my Europa to a single-seat aircraft and there was
absolutely no way it could be installed as a simple replacement for the
existing battery.  So, I suggest you check the weight and balance before
purchasing - and if you need one, then mine is available second-hand unused!

Incidentally I have a LiFePO4 (Lithium Ferrous- (or Iron-)  Phosphate)
battery in my folding electric bicycle and they are excellent, lightweight
and extremely powerful compared to the older Lithium Ion batteries, but
they also have the advantage of being less likely to catch fire when
transported in aircraft.  See the British Airways Dangerous Goods List at
http://www.britishairways.com/cms/global/pdfs/Forbidden_Items_List.pdf .  You
will see that Lithium Ion batteries are only permitted in Cabin Luggage,
not in the hold, so that in the event of a fire they can be put out quickly
by cabin crew and also they are only permitted up to 160 Wh which is not
very much.

My LiFePO4 bike battery by comparison is 370 Wh and was permitted for
carriage on BA flights between LHR and Cape Town (I took it with hand
baggage in the cabin) as LiFePO4 batteries are not considered a fire risk
like their Lithium Ion predecessors and can be carried without a power
restriction.  However, for the Europa, I think you will find that the
weight and balance unfortunately becomes prohibitive unless you alter the
location of the battery.  I am sure Pete Jeffers will be happy to give you
more technical advice than I can offer, but it would need to be cleared
with Ian Rickard and the LAA as a new mod.

*Philip Levi.*
*
*
*G-BWWB Europa Monowheel Classic, Compton Abbas.*
*
*
*E-mail:  pjlevi@gmail.com  *
 *