Europa-List: Dynon EFIS

Subject: Europa-List: Dynon EFIS
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 14:51:03
Hi Martin,

" 1) does the Rotax generator generate enough power to handle the

additional power consumption of the EFIS and servos or would I need to

add more power generation via a generator presumably mounted to the

vacuum pump pad? " I am in the process of installing the Dynon Skyview w
hich I presume has a higher current draw then the unit you are installin
g.  Current draw for Skyview and associated systems, less the autopilot,
 is only 3.5 amps ( +1.5 amp current draw to charge the back up battery)
.  Van's aircraft is planning to release the RV-12 with two Skyview disp
lays and one back up battey all powered from the 912S stock generator.
For my installation the Rotax generator is sufficient. "2) the servo ins
tallation instructions say" Wire Sizing: While it is

beyond the scope of this installation guide to advise on specific types

of wiring for a particular aircraft, choice of wiring should be sized to

1) minimize voltage drop over the length of the particular wiring run,

and 2) conduct the amount of current required by the subsystem without

the wiring becoming warm to the touch." Any ideas how to figure this out
?"

 Regarding the A/P servo, I wired up the harness last night.  I am using
 the SV32 servo (1.83 amps while engaged).  Dynon sells a wiring harness
 for their A/P;  20 foot in length made up of (2) 20 AWG wires for power
ing the servo and (5) 22 AWG wires for data and a/p disconnect.  For the
 Europa this is more than sufficient.  Rather than purchase Dynon's harn
ess (I don't need 20 foot of wire) I wired up my own using the same spec
 wire.  Stein Air sells 7-conductor pre-twised TEFZEL autopilot servo wi
re with the same Dynon specifications as above for $1.45 per foot.   The
y also carry mil spec D-sub pins and connector shells to complete the in
stallation for a fraction of the cost of the Dynon harness. http://stein
air.com/storedetail.cfm?productid=280 Good luck,Erich TrombleyN28ET Cl
assic Mono 914

53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/4f883d8d2950c3ff5e1st02vuc