Re: Europa-List: Rough running 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rough running 912S
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 19:46:01

Hi Guys.

Fuel was drained before layup, bowls dropped and cleaned out. Engine was left
with
carbs at full throttle, i.e. minimum tension on springs. Carbs have been
re-balanced
before test flight. Ran perfectly on the ground.

I have rotax permanent carb heaters fitted so that should eliminate possibility
of ice, (I hope!) although humidity was very high for this particular flight.
I had to wait for fog to clear before flight and temperature and dew point were
both 7deg.

I guess I will pull the carbs off, check the sockets and diaphragms, ensure
float
bowl vent pipes are OK. Incidentally, I replaced all the fuel pipes, including
the vent pipes, at layup.

Will report back if progress is made.

Richard Iddon.

On 7 Mar 2012, at 08:31, PHILLIPS I wrote:

> Hi Richard
> I would check the free movement of the throttle cables especially if they
> have been under tension from the return springs for a year, Have you done a
> carb
sinc? also fuel left in float chambers will evaporate and leave a gum like
deposit
> in the bowl, its worth dropping the bowls for a check,
> good luck
> Ivor
>
> On 7 March 2012 08:10, david park <dpark748@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Weather conditions. - carb ice?
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>

> On 7 Mar 2012, at 05:07, klinefelter.kevin@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Where do I look next?
> > Carbs.
> > Kevin
> >
> > On Mar 6, 2012, at 1:23 PM, Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com> wrote:
> >

> >> My 912S hasn't run for almost 12 months. It started and ran well on ground
runs. Test flight was OK although there was some 'plucking'. Since then I have
flown three more times and am finding that the engine runs fine at full revs
or climb settings but when I back off at the top of the climb, it splutters and
coughs a bit and runs quite roughly as if it is missing a bit. Doesn't fill
me with confidence. I have pulled the plugs and they seem fine, nice even grey
colour, no oily plugs. Where do I look next?