Re: Europa-List: Lightning Strike

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lightning Strike
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:52:22

Martin,

I had a case 8.th of June 2008. It went in via a
fin top mounted strobo (it melted and remainders
are in my "museum" now). Never found an outcoming
hole. It broke also an electric trim and we had to
land when trimmed for a cruise speed. It visited
also a radio but no radio damages. I felt it via
power lever and co-pilot got some electric
experience via his headsets.

That occurred when we flew between two black CBs,
distance was about 10 nm /each. I cannot verify
was it a strike or so called St. Elmos fire. Not
very fun anyway.

What I did later to improve the situation? Nothing
but try to stay more clear about CBs.

Raimo
OH-XRT
FINLAND