Re: Europa-List: Lightning Strike

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Lightning Strike
From: David Joyce <davidjoyce@doctors.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 10:46:25

Martin, Paul McAlister had a lightning strike on his
Europa which produced only modest damage and left the
plane fliable, detailed at:
http://europa363.versadev.com/LightningStrike.html   It
was clearly a much lower energy strike than the one that
blew up the glider. It apperas to havetravelled along thge
wires to his nav ligfhts and thus avoided the control
runs. When I was contemplating flying to Ausralia I did a
fair bit of research on the topic and found it exremely
difficult to get any authoritive advice other than the CAA
publication triggered by the glider incident  (CAA
AIL/0014, 2001, ISBN 1 904862 19 5) which gives
recommendations for protecting gliders. It makes excellent
sense for Europas contemplating getting near to Cu Nims.
  ( And although I usually feel it best to stay very well
clear of such things, it is not possible to get to
Australia without risking doing so unwittingly). My plan
had been to run some aluminium mesh along the aileron and
flap close outs to link with the rear lift pins and the
bar across the fus behind tghe seats, with foil extensions
---From the outer aluminium mesh around the wing tip. I also
planned to run a link from the engine frame to the tail
wheel spring.
    Hope that helps, David Joyce, G-XSDJ