Europa-List: Deformation of canopy

Subject: Europa-List: Deformation of canopy
From: Roland <schmidtroland@web.de>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 03:32:00

Hi all,

yesterday something embarrassing (and dangerous) happened to me. After departure
(already in 5000 ft) I noticed that the door on the copilot-side was not locked
on the rear side (I almost hear you saying: "that cannot happen when you worked
through the checklist prior take off"). You are so right!

After the first shock (suddenly the appropriate passage of the POH came crystal
clear in my mind: "when the door springs open it will most likely depart the
aircraft") I asked my Co to pull the handle in front and I did the same on the
rear.

I was so lucky to land with my Europa as a whole!! When leaving the aircraft my
Co noticed a resistance when opening the door. It turned out, that the frame
on the top of the door seemed to be deformed in a way that the gap between door
and frame/roof became too small causing this resistance approximately when half
open (then the door frame contacts the roof frame) . When complete open or
closed everything seems normal. The hinges and screws where it's mounted are
apparently undamaged.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to bring the door into a perfect fit again?

Thanks for your input!

Regards
Roland

PH-ZTI