Europa-List: Re: SV: Oil tank breather catch bottle

Subject: Europa-List: Re: SV: Oil tank breather catch bottle
From: Remi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 05:36:16

Hi Svein,
I agree that it is nice to install a device to prevent any oil vapor
condensation
---From the breather to stain the bottom of your fuselage. However, in my
opinion,
the installation shown on your picture looks unsafe as there is very little
section for the vapor to escape. The result can be a too high pressure build
up in the oil tank and also in the crankcase with possible bad consequences:
- what makes the oil returning from the crankcase to the tank is the blow-by
which
creates a pressure build-up inside the crankcase, pushing the oil out to the
tank. If the oil tank is not appropriately vented to the atmosphere or if the
vent is restricted significantly, then the differential pressure between the
crankcase and the tank will be reduced, possibly leading to a reduced flow of
oil back to the tank. In the worst case, you may end up with a full crankcase,
an empty tank... and then a dead engine!
- the increased pressure in the tank and the crankshaft may also cause the seals
to blow out, leading to loosing all your oil in flight.
I would suggest you increase the diameter of the venting hole of you bottle to
about 8 mm which is the diameter of the venting hose recommanded by Rotax.
Regards
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL

Read this topic online here: