SV: Europa-List: Oil tank breather catch bottle

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Oil tank breather catch bottle
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 17:45:01
Graeme,

Late greeting:  Congratulations with your first flight!  Hope to see the
beautiful airplane - and you - at Popham next June.

Oil tank breather catch bottle - see attached photo:  I stopped by a ladys
hair dresser saloon and got a small, empty bottle.  Don't know what had been
in it, but probably some expensive hair treatment liquid (there is a reason
why homebuilts in our country are classed "Experimental"!). Made a holder
out of s/s plate, bolted to the firewall.  Rubber hose simply put down the
opening.  Never a drop collected, though!

(Note re. the photo:  Taken during the winter before I installed an oil
thermostat.  The oil cooler is covered by aluminum plates, as is abt half of
the coolant cooler.  With the thermostat, I don't need to do any blocking of
the oil cooler, while occasional blocking of part of the coolant cooler is
done remotely (and stepless) during flight from inside the cockpit by means
of a Vans cooler shutter (very nice piece of equipment, ordered from Vans in
the U.S.).  Part of the coolant cooler is always open to the air flow, as
the warm air collector for cockpit heating is placed right behind that
section of the cooler.)

Regards
Svein
LN-SKJ