RE: Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Bottom cut-outs
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:54:25

That vacant monowheel space seemed a real waste to me. I installed a Lexan
window in two parts=2C fixed and sliding=2C and also made the front bulkhea
d out of lexan in an aluminum frame. This allows me to inspect the nosewhee
l suspension and wheel from inside the cockpit=2C do aerial photography=2C
drop hand grenades or anything else I need to get rid of. Could also be use
d for extra ventilation.The window is easily removable for an opening large
 enough to stick my head into.The top of the tunnel also has a removable op
ening. I have all the usual stuff coming through the tunnel=2C including Ja
mar based finger brakes=2C but these are mounted to the underside of the fo
rward tunnel=2C completely different and much simpler than the factory solu
tion. Throttle (push/pull with friction lock) and choke are mounted in mini
 panel below main panel. So I can still use all of the tunnel for extra sto
rage for maps etc.
The above is best prepared at an early stage=2C before installing the instr
ument and cockpit modules. I cut back the middle lower section of the instr
ument module to expose more tunnel top=2C and I installed re-enforcement bi
d brackets around the bottom opening before bonding in the cockpit module
=2C although that was probably  unnecessary.I have no pictures at the momen
t as I am a long way from my aircraft.
Cheers=2C
Karl