Europa-List: Rear tufnol bearings

Subject: Europa-List: Rear tufnol bearings
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:23:25

Fellow europa builders:

I have a question regarding the rear tufnol bearings for the control
tube. Unwittingly I chamfered the rear bearing's hole, thinking that
it had to be seated against the flange like the front bearings. Then I
realized the flange does not sit flush against the rear bearings like
the front ones. There is no major issue here, except the chamfering
reduces the contact area with the tube. My guess is the contact area
is reduced by at most 25%, possibly less. It doesn't seem to have any
adverse effects or play right now, but I am concerned if this might
get worse with wear. I haven't bonded these bearings in place, so
right now it would be a trivial task to replace them. After bonding,
it would be nearly impossible. I asked the Europa office to send me
some extra bearings, but I have not heard anything back. I was
wondering what your thoughts are, and if this is worth worrying about.