Re: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes
From: Richard Wheelwright <rpwheelwright@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 22:24:20
=C2-I used Nev's method of the Kart Cylinders and it is perfect.=C2-=0A
=C2-=0ANev you always give the perfect answer to a question " Thanx Nev"
:-)=0A=C2-=0A=0A===================
==0A=0ARichard Wheelwright=0A==============
=======0A=0AFrom: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.co.uk>=0ATo: europa
-list@matronics.com=0ASent: Friday, 11 November 2011, 21:35=0ASubject: Re:
Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes=0A=0A=0AHi,=0AIf you have the Jamar maste
r cylinder, this is what you have to do......=0ALay out some clean paper on
 your bench, remove the Jamar unit from the plane and disassemble the unit,
 keep all the seals / springs / pushrods etc in the correct order, laid out
 on the clean paper.=0ATake a close look at the quality of all the parts...
. this is about as poor as anything could ever be made ! Wrap all the parts
 up in the paper and lob it in the bin !=0AYou could invest a lot of time i
n cleaning=C2-the buffing soap [ that was used to put the BS shine on the
 outside ] from the inside, and polish the machining marks from the bores,
clean the soap from the tranverse bore between the two cylinders, ease the
diameter and radius the edge of the nylon washers and try to make something
 out of it, but from experience you can spend a lot of time that rarely giv
es you something you would want to put in an Aircraft.=0ATwo options.=0A1.
=C2-Fit Matco cylinders, top quality, very expensive but will work. Can s
till be a bear to bleed, but you can use the red [ cherryade] brake fluid t
hat every Aircraft Maintenence Facility has ....=0A2.Use two of the Kart ma
ster cylinders as fitted to the Mono Europa and original Trigear [ foot bra
kes ], you will need to make longer levers [ to get mechanical advantage]
=C2-BUT there are two kinds of seals / O rings around, one sort is suitab
le for Dot 3,[ as supplied for the Mono] which works with the Europa calipe
r,=C2-the other is for the cherryade that works with the Matco caliper. T
rouble is you can't tell the difference by looking at them, if used in the
wrong fluid, they expand / go squishy.=0AEuropa have a stock of these that
they don't know which type they are, so no help there.=0AYou CAN use Silico
ne Dot 5 with both the master cylinders and the Calipers, but it is damn aw
ful stuff, very thick [ so is=C2-a bitch to bleed] and if you get any on
paintwork [ or God forbid unpainted structure] you will never get anything
to really get it off. Only one good place for Silicone, that is where Dolly
 Parton / Pamela Anderson has it !=0A=C2-Bleeding the set up with the Kar
t cylinders is a breeze, big [Large Vet's syringe] bit of model fuel tube s
tuffed over the bleed nipple, bung out of the Master cylinder, crack open t
he nipple, squirt the fuid in, have someone peek at the bung hole, when it
comes to the top, job done 5 minutes a side Max. Down side ? As the pads we
ar you need to top up the fluid, but simple as you just need to dribble it
in the bung hole to the bottom of the threads.=0AYou might be able to use t
he Jamar unit as the lever / baseplate and graft the Kart cylinders on to t
hat ? I will have a look tomorrow on the feasability of that.That would sav
e a lot of mucking about.=0ACheers,=0ANev=0A=0A=0A=0A-----Original Message-
----=0AFrom: Carl Meek <carlmeek@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list <europa-list@
matronics.com>=0ASent: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:02=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: E
uropa Finger Brakes=0A=0A=0AThanks for the advice, I've just come from the
airfield having done a bit more investigation.=0A=0AAttached is a picture o
f my master cylinder, apparently it's a "New Jamar finger brake controller
all filled with DOT5.1 fluid filled from the wheels as per the build book"
=0AApparently I have "Matco 5 inch discs on the wheels with new seals fitte
d."=0A=0AI just popped the cover off the levers to look at the master cylin
ders and there are A LOT of very large bubbles in the left hand tube leadin
g out of the master cylinder.=0A=0AI have just bought a bleeding kit and so
me 5.1 and will try to sort it out tomorrow, I'm just worried there is a le
ak or something =93 as it was fine last week but absolutely terrible
now..=0A=0ADo you think a simple bleed from the LH calliper will do the job
?=0A=0ARegards,=0A-Carl.=0AFrom: <duanefamly@aol.com>=0AReply-To: <europa-l
ist@matronics.com>=0ADate: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:16:54 -0500 (EST)=0ATo: <eur
opa-list@matronics.com>=0ASubject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes=0A
=0ADescribe the type of master cylinder you have as well as the type wheel
cylinders. There have been a few master cylinders of inferior quality exper
ienced by several builders.=0A=0AMike Duane=0A=0A=0A=0A=C2-=0A-----Origin
al Message-----=0AFrom: Carl Meek <carlmeek@gmail.com>=0ATo: europa-list <e
uropa-list@matronics.com>=0ASent: Thu, Nov 10, 2011 12:43 pm=0ASubject: Eur
opa-List: Europa Finger Brakes=0A=0A=0ACan I just get a bit of advice from
anyone with finger brakes fitted?=0A=0AMine seem to be a bit odd.=C2- Fir
stly, if i just pull a single one of them it will hit the stop, whereas if
i pull them both they have more feel and don't hit the stop quite so much,
however they seem to respond better with a bit of pumping first.=0A=0AEssen
tially I'm saying that they appear to be substandard, need pumping to work
properly, and even then pulling just one doesn't seem to work well.=0A=0AAn
y thoughts on what could be wrong?=C2- An engineer investigated it but co
uldn't find anything wrong - he checked they were bled and suchlike, he the
n reported it was caused by the fact the master cylinders were not big enou
gh for the callipers so they need pumping.=0A_blank>www.aeroelectric.com /"
 target=_blank>www.buildersbooks.com =_blank>www.homebuilthelp.com blan
k>http://www.matronics.com/contribution arget=_blank>http://www.matronics
.com/Navigator?Europa-List p://forums.matronics.comblank>http://www.matr
onics.com/contribution =0Aic.comw.buildersbooks.comthelp.comronics
.com/contribution//www.matronics.com/Navigator?Europa-List comronics.
=======