Re: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Finger Brakes
From: Neville Eyre <neveyre@aol.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:35:16

Hi,
If you have the Jamar master cylinder, this is what you have to do......
Lay out some clean paper on your bench, remove the Jamar unit from the plan
e and disassemble the unit, keep all the seals / springs / pushrods etc in
the correct order, laid out on the clean paper.
Take a close look at the quality of all the parts.... this is about as poor
 as anything could ever be made ! Wrap all the parts up in the paper and lo
b it in the bin !
You could invest a lot of time in cleaning the buffing soap [ that was used
 to put the BS shine on the outside ] from the inside, and polish the machi
ning marks from the bores, clean the soap from the tranverse bore between t
he two cylinders, ease the diameter and radius the edge of the nylon washer
s and try to make something out of it, but from experience you can spend a
lot of time that rarely gives you something you would want to put in an Air
craft.
Two options.
1. Fit Matco cylinders, top quality, very expensive but will work. Can stil
l be a bear to bleed, but you can use the red [ cherryade] brake fluid that
 every Aircraft Maintenence Facility has ....
2.Use two of the Kart master cylinders as fitted to the Mono Europa and ori
ginal Trigear [ foot brakes ], you will need to make longer levers [ to get
 mechanical advantage] BUT there are two kinds of seals / O rings around, o
ne sort is suitable for Dot 3,[ as supplied for the Mono] which works with
the Europa caliper, the other is for the cherryade that works with the Matc
o caliper. Trouble is you can't tell the difference by looking at them, if
used in the wrong fluid, they expand / go squishy.
Europa have a stock of these that they don't know which type they are, so n
o help there.
You CAN use Silicone Dot 5 with both the master cylinders and the Calipers,
 but it is damn awful stuff, very thick [ so is a bitch to bleed] and if yo
u get any on paintwork [ or God forbid unpainted structure] you will never
get anything to really get it off. Only one good place for Silicone, that i
s where Dolly Parton / Pamela Anderson has it !
 Bleeding the set up with the Kart cylinders is a breeze, big [Large Vet's
syringe] bit of model fuel tube stuffed over the bleed nipple, bung out of
the Master cylinder, crack open the nipple, squirt the fuid in, have someon
e peek at the bung hole, when it comes to the top, job done 5 minutes a sid
e Max. Down side ? As the pads wear you need to top up the fluid, but simpl
e as you just need to dribble it in the bung hole to the bottom of the thre
You might be able to use the Jamar unit as the lever / baseplate and graft
the Kart cylinders on to that ? I will have a look tomorrow on the feasabil
ity of that.That would save a lot of mucking about.
Cheers,
Nev