Re: Europa-List: Heated Pitot on Fin

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heated Pitot on Fin
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:08:01

Geez Tim ,what are you doing !!
I am jinxed now for sure. ;-)
He did a good job. Was surprised he didn't put the nose on. If landing distance
was an issue I suppose he would have. Must have trimmed all the way through the
deceleration, otherwise as you know, the elevator loses authority big time.
One of my heaviest landings in the 767 was in base training where a contemporary
landed well on the mains, and didn't fly the nosewheel down. It fell from
about 5', or certainly it felt like that. Like I said, one of the heaviest I
have
been in, and we were already on the ground.
Nice touchdown too, and the eye height would have been different. It must have
felt really weird out the windows with the horizon up around the coaming and his
ears.
I think I will heed your advice re the probe. It would make it easier to not
have
to disconnect all the plumbing to single man rig though, but I have already
set up the plumbing in the wing, up around the tip and back down behind the spar
to exit the wing a few inches aft of the spar. I think I've got some quick
connect pneumatic couplings somewhere that I bought over the years. Now what
box did I put them in??
Reg
Tony Renshaw

On 03/11/2011, at 10:15 AM, Tim Ward wrote:

> Tony,
> I wouldn't even contemplate it. You have enough experience to get out of the
woods.
> I only fly on beautiful days looking outside at the stunning views and for
> other
aircraft rather then in the flight deck, ( can't say 'cockpit' now) at the
electronics. I get enough of that at work! On saying that I do have 3 GPS, one
for my IPad that my son likes to play with, one in my old 295 Garmin and one
in the Aware to keep me aware of controlled Airspace! So I can't talk.  At work
we only have 1 out of 5 Boeing 767's that has GPS. It's a funny world.
> Great landing in Warsaw with the Lot 767 belly landing! Good to know it can be
done. So British Airways have done it with the 777, great piece of flying, so
only the 747 to go, Tony!

> Cheers Tim
>
> P.s Don't get locked out!
>
> Tim Ward
> 12 Waiwetu Street
> Fendalton,
> Christchurch,  8052
> New Zealand.
>
> ward.t@xtra.co.nz
>
> Ph 64 3 3515166
> Mob 0210640221
>

> On 3/11/2011, at 3:20 AM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Gidday,
>> I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static
>> for
my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze
up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside
of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back
when.
I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have
the disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed
rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall
at high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is
there another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose
it begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with
an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator,
but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld
get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolong!