Re: Europa-List: Heated Pitot on Fin

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Heated Pitot on Fin
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:15:07

Tony,
I wouldn't even contemplate it. You have enough experience to get out of the
woods.
I only fly on beautiful days looking outside at the stunning views and for other
aircraft rather then in the flight deck, ( can't say 'cockpit' now) at the
electronics.
I get enough of that at work! On saying that I do have 3 GPS, one
for my IPad that my son likes to play with, one in my old 295 Garmin and one in
the Aware to keep me aware of controlled Airspace! So I can't talk.  At work
we only have 1 out of 5 Boeing 767's that has GPS. It's a funny world.
Great landing in Warsaw with the Lot 767 belly landing! Good to know it can be
done. So British Airways have done it with the 777, great piece of flying, so
only the 747 to go, Tony!

Cheers Tim

P.s Don't get locked out!

Tim Ward
12 Waiwetu Street
Fendalton,
Christchurch,  8052
New Zealand.

ward.t@xtra.co.nz

Ph 64 3 3515166
Mob 0210640221

On 3/11/2011, at 3:20 AM, Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gidday,
> I am fantasizing about the possibility of preserving reliable pitot static for
my aircraft, in cloud. Not much point being in cloud and having things freeze
up on you, so the complexities of having a hot pitot close to the underside
of a classic solid wing is making me wonder about the early setup, way back
when.
I figure if I mount a fin pitot, of an appropriate length I may not have the
disconnection and reconnection issues, and might better suit single handed
rigging. So, if I had a heated pitot on an appropriate boom I seem to recall at
high body attitudes it used to get disturbed airflow from the fuse. So, is there
another way I haven't considered? Thanks in anticipation, and I suppose it
begs the question, can I not simply fly GPS groundspeed in conjunction with
an approximate wind, and AoA? If I use my Dynon D180 it has an AoA indicator,
but I think it's airspeed derived. My GPS has GPS altitude, and I reckon it wld
get me out of trouble. I am not suggesting prolonged!