Europa-List: Stall warner-retrofit installation-classic (- Mod 61 B -

Subject: Europa-List: Stall warner-retrofit installation-classic (- Mod 61 B -
From: Manfred Jann <wemjot.das@kabelmail.de>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 14:01:40
Hi to all EUROPA friends

This is not my first post, but after 9 years the second or third one. Now
I'm doing the final works on my EUROPA Classic Kit No. 242 in order to get
it to the sky next year hopefully.

While I'm installing the 'stall warner' -Mod 61B- I'm faced with several
questions which EUROPA Aircraft Ltd. GB (Karen Ward) could not answer fully
yet.

Perhaps some of you who installed this Mod 61B already could help me on my
following questions:

 1.) I know the instruction on Mod 61B-Classic says that the hole of the
stall warner should be 52'' (1321 mm) out from the aircraft centreline, so
far so good!

      I actually would like to know whether this point 52'' is obligatory or
could it be 70''?? And if it must be 52'' what is the reason for this exact
point?? Does 70'' from the aircraft

      centerline not  work accurately? And why not? (Because I installed
already an empty tube to the 70" point at the beginning when manufacturing
the wing!!)

2.) I understand that a vacuum appears on a special point below the leading
edge if in stall configuration.

     But to my past knowledge in air-pneumatics on the leading wing edges
there should still appear a pressure instead of a vacuum when the wing comes
to the stall. I looked

     into many good aeronautical text books containing the theory of stall
characteristics but I always found a pressure there!?

      I would like to understand the airflow = pressure or vacuum = on the
leading wing edge in stall configuration on our type of wing.

     Could someone give me some hints, where I could see/read the
theoretical background on this subject? Perhaps on the internet?

3.) In the retrofit installation instruction (Mod 61b Classic) it calls at
page 5 for a 'W39 probe' to be installed at a special angle as per the 'hole
template'!

     What kind of 'probe' is that? Is it just a small brass or aluminium
tube of 3 mm inside diameter, or is it a special manufactured 'probe' with a
sophisticated inside

     configuration? Is it a must buying it, or could I manufacture it
myself?

Helpful hints would be appreciated.

Manfred Jann - Hamburg - Germany