Europa-List: Re: Need an LAA mod for wing tip strobe - really

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Need an LAA mod for wing tip strobe - really
From: Kelvin Weston <kelv@kdweston.biz>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 13:24:01

Ian

I recently emailed Andy Draper at the LAA about strobe mods and was also told
that
I would need a mod to cover the Airworld wingtip strobes.
I have fitted the conduit mod but my understanding was that a mod would be
needed
to cover the reinforcement of the wing tip and installation of the driver box.
I reinforced the tip on the inside with a small oval of thin aluminium covered
with 2 ply bid.  This allowed the fitting of Rivnuts to secure the strobe head.
These can be easily replaced from the outside should a thread go in the future.
The cable hole also allowed me to insert a pip pin mounted on a stand to
allow the wing to be rotated during build / painting.
Also, SM 10713 does not take into account the possibility that Mod 69 - wing tie
downs might be fitted.  I took the outboard conduit through the middle of the
rib similar to the inboard conduit.

--------
Regards

Kelv Weston