Europa-List: Heavy in-flight vibration

Subject: Europa-List: Heavy in-flight vibration
From: Frank Mycroft <frankm@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:55:14
I suffered heavy in-flight vibration the other day.  By the time I had
checked t's and p's and voltage, and before I had time to switch on the
fuel pump everything was back to normal.  So I left everything as it was
and returned to base with no further trouble.  I checked engine
mountings, propellor and fuel filter and carb float chambers and found
quite severe felting of fine fibres round the filter, which I changed,
and a minute amount of dirt in the bottom on one float chamber.  The
nature of the vibration felt as though the cylinders on one side of the
engine had stopped firing;  it did not feel like misfiring due to,eg,
carb ice, and if it had been a blocked filter I think the engine would
have stopped, and not started again until I changed tanks.  If so that
could only be a carburettor problem and I wondered if there had been a
momentary vapour lock on one side, or possibly a sticking float valve
stopping fuel flow to that side, perhaps cured by the vibration.
Neither the OAT nor the engine were hot enough to make vapour a likely
answer.  I also wondered if I had picked up a child's helium balloon in
the prop which blew off after a second or two.  The next day I climbed
straight up to 6,000' with no hint of trouble, so I have stopped
worrying about it.

Frank Mycroft G-BWYD