Europa-List: F23 Fuel Filler Tube Cover Trimming

Subject: Europa-List: F23 Fuel Filler Tube Cover Trimming
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw268@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 18:24:20

Gidday,
If you enjoy diatribe, read on. If not, well go to paragraph two.
Well I am working out the issues of fitting the fuel filler tube and cover
before
I jump in. THAT is very uncharacteristic! Immediately I have found out that
my splash moulding to locate the centre of the hole to be cut in the top of the
fuselage is the diameter to suit my rather plain original fuel filler cap
surround.
I have a new one, bought years and years ago on the advice of some highly
respected builder, BUT, it is about 4-6 mm larger in diameter so my splash
doesn't work. So, spent all day with car bog, sandpaper, timber etc making up
a splash of the splash, with a new slightly larger rebate for my fancy cap
surround.
Once this has gone off I can then lay up a new splash on the inside of
this splash, to end up back where I begun, all for 4-6 mm. Grrh.

Anyway, what I'd like to know is, surely I have to cut down the length of the
F23,
the part that mates with the back of the tank? If I have to believe either
the length of this cover or the splash moulding that locates the centre of the
cap, well I am going to go with the splash. I don't understand why it ever
needed
to be vaguely as long as it is, the horizontal portion when held in position,
the part that mates with the back of the seat. It appears to even vaguely
hold things in position I have to take 4-6" off the front of it, and I don't
get why it would be that long.
Before I attack this cover with a saw, I thought I'd better ask around and see
what is what. I seem to be missing something, so if anyone can offer a solution
or two I'd appreciate it. By the way, I have Tim Wards aluminium fuel elbow
to minimise fuel smells, which is really an aluminium replica of the black
rubber?
one supplied by Europa, the one that supposedly produces fuel smells. I
unfortunately
have to cut that too. For me, there is a bit too much to cut here!
(I'm not good at cutting)
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Aussie.